Motion to Facilitate Greater Use of 5150 Holds and Conservatorship
Proposed by Jay Handal/WRAC HOC on May 17, 2021
Formally adopted by WRAC in August 2021 | Download the WRAC position letter
- Bel Air-Beverly Crest Neighborhood Council
- Brentwood Community Council
- Neighborhood Council of Westchester/Playa
- Pacific Palisades Community Council
- Venice Neighborhood Council
- West LA-Sawtelle Neighborhood Council
- Westside Neighborhood Council
- Westwood Neighborhood Council
Severely mentally ill persons in Los Angeles, who are unable to avail themselves of current public services, are dying on our streets. We demand the City of Los Angeles collaborate with the County of Los Angeles to fully utilize the Lanterman-Petrus-Short Act, including section 5150 and fast-track conservatorships of these individuals, to enable life-saving care. Further, we ask that the city add to its legislative program a demand that the State Legislature provide funds to the county to create as many fully-staffed psychiatric beds as necessary to properly house and treat these individuals.
Contact Mark Ryavec or Dr. Renee Sabshin (sponsors in WRAC HOC) with any questions.
See CF 21-0002-S195 (resolution by Buscaino/Lee re 5150 holds) and WRAC Comment — resolution approved by City Council, 2/1/22.