Opposition to SB831, eliminating Accessory Dwelling Units from a site’s total FAR
- Bel Air-Beverly Crest Neighborhood Council
- Brentwood Community Council
- West LA-Sawtelle Neighborhood Council
- Westwood Neighborhood Council
The _______________Council opposes SB813, which would eliminate the FAR, floor area square footage, of Accessory Dwelling Units from a site’s total floor area. No compelling reason, and no planning justification, has been presented that demonstrates how the physical conditioned, livable space of an ADU is different from the physical conditioned, livable space of the primary residence on the property.
The bill would allow up to the 1,200 sf legal limit of the square footage of accessory dwelling units to be exempt from FAR calculations. However:
- No compelling reason has been stated for why this specific exemption is needed.
- By exempting the FAR for ADUs, the floor area could increase 100% for buildings in low-density neighborhoods.
- The City of Los Angeles has established 14 Floor Area Overlay Zones, and their FAR limits would be abolished.
- Local municipalities should decide FAR standards like these.
- ADUs are not counted in State inventories of housing units or housing units projections.