Request Use of “Cool Asphalt” for Paving
- Del Rey Neighborhood Council
- Neighborhood Council of Westchester/Playa
- North Westwood Neighborhood Council
- Pacific Palisades Community Council
- South Robertson Neighborhoods Council
- Venice Neighborhood Council
- West LA-Sawtelle Neighborhood Council
- Westside Neighborhood Council
- Westwood Neighborhood Council (modified version)
WRAC requests that the City Bureau of Engineering uses “cool asphalt” for paving with the following recommendations:
i. Request that StreetsLA prioritizes its program for cooling, including that the Bureau of Engineering coat roads and sidewalks with “cool asphalt.”
ii. Request that Council Districts allocate discretionary funding to StreetsLA to expand coating with cool asphalt in their areas.
iii. Request that the City prioritize and implement the program by allocating sufficient funding.
iv. Request that the City publicize the streets that are scheduled to be coated.
v. Request that the City prioritize implementation based on areas with high heat temperatures, low tree canopy cover, high use transit stops and high pedestrian traffic areas.
vi. Request that the City study the feasibility and cost of producing, installing and maintaining its own product (the cool street coating).
vii. Request that the City plant street trees where coating is applied, to increase the effectiveness of the coating and provide a holistic approach.
WWNC modified version: Language added 3/9/22 (per WWNC Secretary Stephen Resnick): “Request to include potential funding sources for the project.”